Experts recommend that the calorie requirements in pregnancy with just one baby should be around 2500 calories daily, beginning in the second trimester. But a party of three, or more? You may need to be eating 3000 or more calories per day as soon as you're aware that you're pregnant with twins.
Here are some healthy ways to increase your calories:
- Balance your diet with the food pyramid
- Eat a variety of foods within the food groups
- Set up a schedule for meals and snacks
- Be sure to get enough dairy every day, like milk, yogurt or cheese
- Add more fruits, vegetables, and whole grain breads to your menus
- Carry snacks like dried fruits, nuts, and whole grain crackers in your purse
- Stay hydrated
- Eat frequent mini meals or snacks
- Ask your doctor about prenatal vitamins and DHA supplements
Ask your doctor about Enfamil® Expecta® Prenatal, a complete prenatal multivitamin/mineral and DHA supplement.
Enfamil Expecta has:
- Choline — To help support baby's brain development.*
- DHA — Experts recommend DHA to help support brain and eye development.*†
- Vitamin D — 50% higher level of Vitamin D (600 IU) versus the leading brand (400 IU).
- Folic Acid — Provides 100% recommended daily value for folic acid.
|*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.|
†The effects of DHA on infant brain and eye development have been studied using a range of methods and different sources of DHA including fish oils and DHA derived from algae (which is the source used in Expecta). The chemical structure o DHA is the same, regardless of which of these sources is used. For more information, consult your physician.