Hands-on - 30 min.
|Uncle Ben's whole-grain instant brown rice, dry||3/4 cup|
|water||1 1/2 cups|
|skinless, boneless chicken breasts (optional)*||3 (4 oz each)|
|oil (canola or sesame)||1 T|
|frozen mixed stir-fry vegetables||2 bags (16 oz each)|
|La Choy sweet & sour sauce||1 jar (10 oz)|
|slivered almonds or chopped walnuts or cashews||1/2 cup|
- Place rice and water in a medium nonstick saucepan.
- Cover, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low. Set timer for 5 minutes.
- When timer sounds, remove from heat and allow to sit, covered.
- Cut onion into wedges and chicken into strips.
- Heat oil in a nonstick wok over medium-high heat. Add onion and chicken.
- Stir-fry until chicken is browned.
- Add vegetables to wok (no need to thaw).
- Cook 11 to 13 minutes to desired tenderness. It's ready when the water from the vegetables evaporates.
- Stir in sweet & sour sauce and nuts.
- Let cook 2 more minutes, then serve over brown rice.
*As another option, 12 oz. extra-firm tofu cut into strips works great instead of chicken.
|For scant 1 cup stir-fry (with chicken) over 1/2 cup rice|
|Calories from Fat||23%|
|Saturated Fat||<1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||44 g|