Makes approx. 168 servings (4 fl oz bottles)
|Similar to:||Propimex® -1|
OA 1 Metabolic Powder Formula
OA 1 Metabolic Powder Formula is an iron-fortified infant formula & medical food powder that is free of the essential amino acids isoleucine, methionine, threonine, and valine. It’s specially designed for infants & toddlers with propionic or methylmalonic acidemia (organic acidemias).
OA 1 provides all other essential amino acids, as well as nonessential amino acids, carbohydrates, fat, essential fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals.
- Isoleucine-, methionine-, threonine-, and valine-free, plus has DHA & ARA
- Vitamin & mineral levels meet the U.S. Infant Formula Act requirements per 100 Calories
- Increased levels of B vitamins, compared to routine infant formulas, for cofactor production
- Pleasant vanilla scent & can be easily enhanced with other flavors
- Mixes easily & stays blended well
- Use under direct & continuing supervision of a doctor.
Nutrients and Ingredients
Nutrients per 100 g Powder
WARNING: This protein is incomplete since it does not contain the essential amino acids isoleucine, methionine, threonine, and valine.
Preparation and Use
Mead Johnson Nutrition OA 1 is to be used only in the dietary management of infants and young children with documented propionic and methylmalonic acidemias while under direct and continuing medical supervision.
WARNING: This product is nutritionally incomplete. Care must be taken to provide enough isoleucine, methionine, threonine, and valine to support growth using other foods with these amino acids as required. Medical professionals must carefully and constantly supervise use of OA 1 with other foods and liquids and adjust the diet based on frequent blood tests.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PREPARATION AND USE
WARNING: Your child’s health depends on carefully following the instructions below. Use only directed by a medical professional. Improper hygiene, preparation, dilution, use or storage may result in severe harm. Powdered foods are not sterile and should not be fed to premature infants or persons who might have immune problems unless directed and supervised by your child’s medical professional.
Ask your baby’s medical professional about the need to use cooled, boiled water for mixing and the need to boil clean utensils, bottles and nipples in water before use.
Your baby’s medical professional will provide instructions for the correct amounts of water and powder*. Pour the required amount of water into the bottle. Add the correct amount of powder, cap the bottle and shake vigorously.
*If instructed to use the scoop in the can, each scoop (unpacked and leveled) delivers approximately 4.5 g of powder. Store the DRY scoop in this can.
Failure to follow these instructions could result in severe harm. Once prepared, product can spoil quickly. Either feed immediately or cover and store in refrigerator at 35-40°F (2-4°C) for no longer than 24 hours. Do not use prepared product if it is unrefrigerated for more than a total of 2 hours.
Do not freeze prepared product. After feeding begins, use product within one hour or discard.
WARNING: Do not use a microwave oven to warm product. Serious burns may result.
POWDER STORAGE: Store cans at room temperature. After opening can, keep tightly covered, store in a dry area and use contents within 1 month. Do not freeze powder and avoid excessive heat.
Use by date on bottom of can.
WARNING: Not for parenteral (I.V.) use.
Last updated: 12/29/11
Ratings & Reviews
Online sales from Enfamil.com are temporarily suspended, in order to meet the needs of the orders we have already received.
We understand how stressful this is for parents, and fully understand the importance of our role providing the single source of nutrition for many babies. Since the recall by another manufacturer, resources have been added to address the need but unfortunately, the wave of online orders is significant.
For parents who would like to continue to purchase online:
- If you continue to look for online availability through other channels, be sure to buy from a reputable source. Be wary of purchasing from individuals and not corporations.
For parents who prefer to shop at retail outlets (Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, etc):
- Start with our Enfamil.com store locator to search online and in-store availability
- Ask your local store managers what days they expect to receive new shipments
- Try both big box stores and smaller grocery stores you may not normally shop at
- Check with pediatricians for available samples or promotions, as well as alternatives to your current product.
- Be open to different sizes or formats of the brand they normally buy
Metabolic and special medical needs products are available to order on Enfamil.com with a max order quantity of 5 units per product. These products may be eligible for insurance coverage when prescribed. You can ask your doctor to write a prescription and send it to a Home Care or Pharmacy Provider.