If feeding time isn't quite what you had imagined, your baby may have a feeding sensitivity. Read on to see what sounds familiar, and what to do about your baby's tummy trouble.
“My baby passes an awful lot of gas.”
All babies have some gas. But excess gas can be caused by something you ate if you're nursing. If you're using formula, talk to your baby's doctor about one that is specially designed for fussiness or gas.
Tips to Relieve Gassy Baby:
- If you're breastfeeding, limit or eliminate spicy or gassy foods like cabbage, garlic, onions, broccoli, and caffeine.
- If you're formula-feeding, ask your doctor about formulas that can help with gas, such as Enfamil NeuroPro™ Gentlease®.
“My baby keeps getting red in the face like she's trying to poop, but nothing comes out in her diaper.”
- Call your baby's doctor for suggestions on easing her stooling issues.
- Ask about special formulas designed to gently help your baby's digestive system promote soft, comfortable stools, such as Enfamil® Reguline®.
“My baby spits up. A lot.”
Babies often spit up when they've eaten too much, or after a burp. Excessive spitting up, though, can be a problem.
Tips to Reduce Spit-up in Babies:
- Feed your baby for a few minutes, or a few ounces, and then stop and burp her.
- If she's too keyed up, or is rushing though feeding, calm her down first.
- Ask your doctor about pre-thickened formulas with rice starch for babies who spit up frequently, such as Enfamil A.R.®.
“My baby cries for hours at a time. Nothing I can do makes her stop.”
If your baby cries for more than 3 hours a day, she may have colic. Her colic may stem from a cow's milk protein allergy.
- Wrap her securely in a blanket, then hold her close and rock her gently.
- Walk with her, or take her for a drive in her car seat.
- Nurse her, or give her a bottle.
- Give her a pacifier if you use one.
- Put on some soothing music.
- Call the doctor.
- Ask about hypoallergenic formulas for babies with colic due to cow's milk protein allergy, such as Nutramigen® with Enflora™ LGG™*.
*LGG is a registered trademark of Chr. Hansen A/S.