Portagen is a nutritional powder for children & adults with defects in the intraluminal hydrolysis of fat (decreased pancreatic lipase, decreased bile salts); defective mucosal fat absorption (decreased mucosal permeability, decreased absorptive surface); and/or defective lymphatic transport of fat (i.e. intestinal lymphatic obstruction).
- 87% of fat from medium-chain triglycerides
- Corn oil provides linoleic acid
- If used long term, supplementation of essential fatty acids & ultra-trace minerals should be considered
- Not recommended for use as an infant formula
- Mixes easily & stays blended well
Nutrients and Ingredients
Nutrients per 100 g Powder
Preparation and Use
USE AS DIRECTED BY YOUR PHYSICIAN OR DIETICIAN.
PORTAGEN POWDER IS NOT DESIGNED FOR USE AS AN INFANT FORMULA.
PORTAGEN powder is not intended as a sole source of nutrition. For chronic (long-term) use: Supplementation of essential fatty acids and ultra trace minerals should be considered. To be used only as directed by your doctor.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PREPARATION AND USE
WARNING: The consumer's health depends on carefully following the instructions below. Use only as directed by a medical professional. Improper hygiene, preparation, dilution, use or storage may result in severe harm. Nutritional powders are not sterile and should not bed fed to premature infants or those persons who might have immune problems unless directed and supervised by a medical professional.
For a quart of prepared product, add 1 2/3 packed level measuring cups (203 g) of powder to 27 fl oz (795 mL) of water. For approximately 4.5 fl oz of prepared product, add 3 packed level scoops (28.2 g) to 4 fl oz of water. Both preparations will result in 30 Calories per fl oz of prepared product. For other volumes, prepare as directed by your doctor.
Pour desired amount of water into a suitable container. Add powder, cover container and shake vigorously until thoroughly blended.
Failure to follow these instructions could result in severe harm. Once prepared, product can spoil quickly. Either consume immediately or cover and store in refrigerator at 35-40°F (2-4°C) for no longer than 24 hours. Shake well before each use. Do not use prepared product if it is unrefrigerated for more than a total of 2 hours. Do not freeze prepared product. After feeding begins, do not refrigerate the container. You must use within 1 hour or discard.
POWDER STORAGE: Store cans at room temperature. After opening can, keep tightly covered, store in a dry area and use contents within 1 month. Do not freeze powder and avoid excessive heat.
Use by date on bottom of can.
WARNING: Not for parenteral (I.V.) use.
Last updated: 9/29/17
Ratings & Reviews
Online sales from Enfamil.com are temporarily suspended, in order to meet the needs of the orders we have already received.
We understand how stressful this is for parents, and fully understand the importance of our role providing the single source of nutrition for many babies. Since the recall by another manufacturer, resources have been added to address the need but unfortunately, the wave of online orders is significant.
For parents who would like to continue to purchase online:
- If you continue to look for online availability through other channels, be sure to buy from a reputable source. Be wary of purchasing from individuals and not corporations.
For parents who prefer to shop at retail outlets (Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, etc):
- Start with our Enfamil.com store locator to search online and in-store availability
- Ask your local store managers what days they expect to receive new shipments
- Try both big box stores and smaller grocery stores you may not normally shop at
- Check with pediatricians for available samples or promotions, as well as alternatives to your current product.
- Be open to different sizes or formats of the brand they normally buy
Metabolic and special medical needs products are available to order on Enfamil.com with a max order quantity of 5 units per product. These products may be eligible for insurance coverage when prescribed. You can ask your doctor to write a prescription and send it to a Home Care or Pharmacy Provider.