Your little one’s 1st birthday may seem a long way off, but it will be here before you know it! So we’ve included a great tasting dairy- and egg-free birthday cake recipe which will please both family and friends. There’s no need to use Nutramigen in this recipe; your may use water instead. Heating Nutramigen® with Enflora™ LGG® will decrease the level of some nutrients and the amount of LGG.
- 2 ½ cups self-rising flour
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 11.5 oz fluid ounces water or Nutramigen (5 packed scoops to 10 fluid ounces water)
- 9 tbsp oil (not olive oil)
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
Ideally use a shallow, oblong cake tin
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F
Sieve flour into bowl, add sugar and stir
Beat all cake ingredients together to a thick consistency with a whisk
Place in a greased cake pan lined with grease-proof paper
Cook for 45 minutes or until golden and springs back when pressed
Keep in the pan and cover with a tea towel so it doesn’t crack
When cold remove from pan and decorate with icing
- Make icing using 1.5 cups sieved powdered sugar and 1½ tbsps warm water.
- Alternatively, top with dairy-free buttercream. Beat 8 ½ tbsp dairy-free margarine with a wooden spoon until soft, gradually mix in 2 cups powdered sugar. Add 1 tbsp of water and beat until fluffy (check ingredients if your child has an egg allergy as some powdered sugars may contain egg white).
- For a chocolate cake add ½ cup of cocoa to the flour and for chocolate buttercream mix 1 tbsp of cocoa powder with the water