This is a classic recipe adjusted to be milk-free and delicious. The recipe is rich in starch and protein, and together with some vegetables, you have a nutritious meal. The Nutramigen®with Enflora™LGG® cheese sauce provides calcium and other nutrients and can be very useful for an infant who needs more energy and protein.
Cauliflower and Macaroni and Cheese Bake
Makes 1 toddler portion or 2 baby portions
- ½ cup dried macaroni
- ½ small cauliflower, cut into florets
- Nutramigen®with Enflora™LGG® cheese sauce (see recipe below)
- Boil the macaroni until soft.
- Meanwhile, steam or boil the cauliflower until soft.
- Make the Nutramigen®with Enflora™LGG® cheese sauce (see recipe below). Remember to add the Nutramigen®with Enflora™LGG® powder at the end once the cheese sauce has cooled to serving temperature.
- Mix everything together and serve.
- Purée, mash or chop as appropriate.
- This is good for finger food from 8 months
- Make a double quantity of cheese sauce and freeze in individual portions.
- To add variety:
- Try substituting the cauliflower for broccoli.
- Use cauliflower or broccoli without the pasta.
- Make a classic ‘mac’n’cheese’ by leaving out the cauliflower.
Nutramigen®with Enflora™LGG® Cheese Sauce
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp dairy-free margarine
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 oz grated dairy-free cheese (and soy-free if required)
- 2 packed level scoops of Nutramigen with LGG® powder
- Add the flour, margarine and water to a pan.
- Heat and whisk until smooth and the sauce thickens.
- Add the grated dairy-free cheese (and soy-free if required) into the pan as you heat it
- Cool to serving temperature and then add 4 of scoops Nutramigen with LGG® powder
- Soy-free, dairy-free cheese is usually based on coconut, rice, almonds or peas so check the ingredients label carefully to ensure it is suitable.
- DO NOT use a lactose-free cheese as this will contain cow’s milk protein
- This sauce can be made in a pan or a microwave.
- Use a whisk rather than a spoon when stirring it to prevent it going lumpy
- Double the quantity and freeze in individual portions